13 July - 23 November 2017
Scuola Grande della Misericordia,
Sestiere Cannaregio, 3599
Sunday to Friday: 10.30am - 6.30pm
Saturdays: 10.30am - 8.30pm
Scuola Grande della Misericordia
CBdIME Phone +39 3459199579
TicketOne Call Centre
Hellovenezia Call Centre
Phone +39 0412424
Entry tickets for Magister Giotto can be purchased directly at the exhibition, online via TicketOne and from TicketOne or Hellovenezia sales points in Venice.
FULL PRICE 18 €
REDUCED PRICE 16 €
Visitors aged from 9 to 18
Students aged up to 25 (presentation of university I.D. required)
Visitors aged 65 and over
Groups of 10 or more persons
Rolling Venice Card
Persons with disabilities not up to 100% plus accompanying person
Members of Touring Club Italiano
Customers of Garage San Marco
Residents of the Municipality of Venice13 € (presentation of I.D. card)
Holders of Membership Card Palazzo Grassi - Punta della Dogana 12 €
Holders of Teatro Stabile del Veneto season ticket 12 €
GROUP REDUCTIONS 15 € (groups of 10 persons)
REDUCTIONS FOR SCHOOLS: 9 €
(Schools of all levels)
Entry free of charge for 2 accompanying persons for a school group of between 15 and 24 participants
Entry free of charge for 3 accompanying persons for a school group of between 25 and 29 participants
Entry free of charge for support teachers or persons accompanying students with disabilities
Parents €13 each
Children (aged between 8 and 19) 9 € each (aged up to 8) free
Every Tuesday free entry for residents of the Municipality of Venice (by reservation)
Persons with 100% disabilities plus accompanying person
Children up to the age of 8
Journalists (with prior press office accreditation)
Authorised guides (with licence issued by the Provincial Authority of Venice)
1 accompanying person for 1 group of adults of from 10 to 20 people
Full price 16 €
Reduced price 14 €
From Piazza Roma or from the Station
On foot in approx. 15 minutes
Line 1 (Ca’ d’Oro stop) Line 2 (San Marcuola)
Lines 4.1 and 5.1 (Fondamenta Nove stop)
From Piazza San Marco
On foot in approx. 15 minutes
Line 1 (from San Marco - Giardinetti a Ca’ d’Oro stop)
From Marco Polo Airport
Linea Blu (Fondamenta Nove stop)
From 13 July to 23 November 2017, the Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Misericordia di Venezia becomes the place of christening of the Magister in order to celebrate the Master of the revolution of Western art: Magister Giotto, the first of a series of stories with a powerful scenographic impact on the Great Masters of Italian art.
14 minutes on foot from Santa Lucia Railway Station and 17 minutes from Piazza San Marco - in Sestiere di Cannaregio - the monumental building of the School, lit up by the water, dominates the north side of Venice, an area abounding in charm. The Scuola Grande della Misericordia - structured over two floors (10 and 12 metres high respectively) measuring a total of 28,000 cubic metres - is the second space in the city in size terms after the Palazzo Ducale.
The Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Misericordia is one of the seven Venetian Scuole Grandi, which came about in the Middle Ages as a secular phenomenon of devotion and solidarity, playing a fundamental role in the political, social and religious fabric of the Republic of Venice.
The original site, in Gothic style, dates back to 1308 and has been extended at various times over the centuries. In 1532 Florentine architect and sculptor Jacopo Sansovino began to build the large quadrangular building of the Scuola Nuova, influenced by classicism. The interiors, which were only completed after the architect’s death, abounded in works of art worthy of the importance of the Venetian Scuola Grande. Veronese, Zanchi, Lazzarini, Pellegrini, and - last but not least - Domenico Tintoretto, son of the famous Jacopo, were just some of the names who were responsible for the decorations of a building that still today maintains the charm and prestige with which it was conceived. There are some drawings attributed to Palladio that are thought to represent the Scuola Grande della Misericordia.
Inaugurated in 1583, work on the School continued for around two hundred years, but it was abandoned with the end of La Serenissima. It had various uses in the 19th century: military headquarters, warehouse, state archive. From 1914, for over seventy years, it became a centre for Venetian sport, particularly basketball, run by the Reyer sports company. In 1991 the Municipality assigned the restoration project, which, with different phases, concluded with its inauguration in April 2016.
Thanks to project financing and the collaboration between the Municipality of Venice and the company SMV, today the School is a technologically advanced multi-purpose cultural centre that hosts exhibitions, events and conferences, thus resuming its original function, though structured in a contemporary vein.